Tater Tot Casserole

     Tater tot casserole is a dinner that my sister introduced to me.  I had never even heard of it.  Now I make it about twice a month for my family.  They love it. It is a versatile dish. I don't use a recipe myself but I will attempt to make a recipe for you to use.




2 pounds ground beef
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
half of an onion, diced
a bag of tater tots
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese


Look at the package of tater tots and set your oven to the time it says. Usually 400-425 degrees. Now brown the ground beef in a skillet with half of a diced onion. Drain the fat. Then mix the soups with the browned ground beef. Pour into a casserole pan. Next take the tater tots and lay them out over the meat mixture in the pan. Put them in the oven for as long as it says on the tater tot package. Around 25 minutes then check to make sure the tater tots are cooked thoroughly. If not, then keep it in the oven until the tater tots are done. When they are, sprinkle the cheese over the top and put it back in for a couple of mins until cheese is melted.


**This dish is versatile because you can change the recipe to your liking. You can do any combination of cream styled soups. I have also tried cream of celery soup. You could even add vegetables like celery, carrots, green beans, or anything you'd like. Just mix the vegetable with the meat and soup mixture. You can use frozen, fresh, or canned. You will have to defrost frozen vegetables though. Also instead of ground beef, you can use ground turkey, ground chicken, or even ground sausage. You can even use different kinds of cheeses. I have used sliced cheese a lot when I didn't have cheddar cheese on hand. 


     Comment and post what kind of tater tot casserole combinations you have tried. I would like to hear your experiences. 



1 comment:

Total Pageviews